How To Install Lineage OS on Android Device
Lineage OS has been in the news over the past few days. There have been numerous stories around it, and for good reasons too. Following Cyanogen Inc. shutting down on the 31st of December, Lineage OS has now taken over, and will soon be seen dominating the markets when it comes to the world of custom ROMs. However, the question that a lot of people are still asking is that of how to install LineageOS. Download and install Lineage OS ROM on your Android device. Especially CyanogenMod installer now in Google Play store. Install and download cyanogenmod OS for Android mobile platform.
Installing Lineage OS is actually an effortless task, and it can be easily done with the help of TWRP and Custom Recovery. This method is easier for the users who already installed a Custom ROM in the past.
This guide will show you how to install or flash Lineage OS ROM on your android device using custom recoveries like TWRP or CWM. Before starting to make sure to complete task.
Before we start installing Lineage OS:
Need to follow few tasks before flashing custom ROM:
Step 1: Install USB drivers of your Smartphone on your PC.
Step 2: Take the full backup of your data stored on your Smartphone storage.
Step 3: Make sure that battery level should be around 60-80%.
Step 4: Enable USB Debugging on your Smartphone.
Note: Most of the custom ROM will not have Google Apps in them. So, you will have to download and install GApps manually.
Done with above guide, then follow the steps:
TWRP recovery enables you to do some cool stuff, but the whole point of having a custom recovery is to be able to flash unsigned .zip files. These .zip files could be anything from a custom kernel, boot, recovery, MODs or full custom ROMs.
Install a custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
1. Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM and GApps for Lineage OS on your smartphone storage.
2. Now, Boot your smartphone in TWRP recovery.
3. Select “Wipe” from TWRP menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
(Note: This will factory reset your device. If your custom ROM doesn’t require a factory reset, then simply skip this step.)
4. Once Done, Go back to TWRP menu, tap on “Install” and select the Lineage OS ROM .zip file and gapps for lineage os that you transferred on your smartphone in Step 1.
5. After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” to begin the installation process.
6. Once, ROM is flashed, Select “Wipe cache/Dalvik” option, then do “Swipe to Wipe.”
7. Once cache & Dalvik wipe completes, Press “Back” button and select “Reboot System.”
The second method of installing Lineage OS ROM are via CWM recovery. If you have CWM recovery, then follow below step.
How to Install Custom ROM in CWM Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery can be used to flash Lineage OS ROM or any other custom ROM on android devices. There’s an “install zip from sd card” option that will let you install a ROM zip file on your smartphone. It is the popular custom recovery for android. Hence, most users prefer it over other solutions.
How to Install Custom ROM using ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery
This guide can be used to install custom ROM on your android device. Not to mention that your device should be rooted and have CWM Recovery installed. Also, please download the custom ROM zip file that you will install.
How to Install Lineage ROM using CWM Recovery
Step 1: Download the ROM zip file and copy it to the root of the SD card. Also copy the GApps zip file, if you want to install Google Apps as well.
Step 2: Disconnect your Smartphone from PC and boot it into CWM recovery mode:
• Switch off your device
• Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode (Note: button sequence may differ depending on your smartphone)
• Now select “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
• You are now in CWM recovery more. Use volume keys to operate up & down and use Power button to select an option.
Step 3: Take an NANDROID backup of your ROM: (Optional but necessary)
• From Recovery screen, choose “Backup and Restore.”
• Now select “Backup” to begin the nandroid backup process.
• After the backup was completed, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 4: Now choose “wipe data/factory reset” option. Then, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then, navigate behind to the main recovery.
Step 5: Now install the ROM zip file placed on SD card of your smartphone in step 1. Follow these steps:
• Select option “install zip from sd card.”
• Now, pick option “choose zip from sd card.”
• Now choose the zip file you want to install (the file that you copied onto the SD card)
• Now, select “Yes” to start the installing process.
The custom ROM installation will now start. Wait for it till its finished.
Note: If you copied any other zip file beside the ROM file (like GApps zip), repeat the above process to install that zip file.
Step 6: After the installation finished, navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
Your device will now reboot.
Note: First boot may take some time, so be patient and do not interrupt the boot process.
When it boots up, your device has custom ROM installed in it. The Same procedure will be followed to install any zip file like Google Apps on your device.
This is it, It was our full guide to Install Lineage OS on any Android Device.
Author Bio: Jitendra Singh Is a Founder and Owner of Mobfreak.com blog. He is a Tech enthusiast and has a keen knowledge of Gadgets, Android Smartphones, ROMs, Rooting etc. He is an IT student by Profession and Blogger by Hobby. This post is the tutorial About the Installation of Lineage OS ROM.