How to Remove Bad Smell from Mouth
In this article, we would like to show you some simple home remedies for onion breath problem. It is only a small thing among many problems in your life but probably make you embarrassed when communicating with business partners, colleagues, and friends or even uncomfortable with your lover.
What is Onion Breath?
Obviously, onions are indispensable ingredient in many different dishes and salads, not just because of its flavor enhancer, but it has a lot of health benefits for us. Onions are a nutrient-dense food that means they have high level in nutrients like vitamins B, C, minerals and low level in calories. Besides, they reduce the risk of cancer, improve the mood and maintain the health of skin & hair. However, issue arises after eating them, you have to face with the onion breath, the stench lingers in the mouth for all day afterward.
What causes Onion Breath?
When onions are digested, the odor molecules is absorbed into bloodstream and come to the lungs, then bringing about really bad smell. Unfortunately, brushing teeth two or three times is not a solution, it is still there. So will we give up onions? Just don’t eat onions anymore? How to Remove Bad Smell from Mouth? But don’t worry, there are many ways you can do, let’s consider top 10 useful home remedies for onion breath that you have right in your kitchen:
1. Green tea
People use green tea as a great drink to rinse the mouth after meal, which makes it as a wonderful home remedy for onion breath. Because of having poly phenols and powerful anti-oxidants, green tea can demolish the sulfurous compounds in onion. By doing this, you can cure the onion breath.
- Take a cup of hot water and pour 1 teaspoon of tea leaves into it.
- Cover the cup about 5 minutes.
- Add some honey if you want.
- Drink tea to get rid of onion breath. You can drink 2 or 3 times a day to get better result.
The citric flavor of lemons will neutralize the odor in your mouth. Plus, it kills the bacteria causing the onion breath. The usages of the lemons is simple:
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with a glass of water.
- Take this liquid as the cleanser for a few times.
- Another choice is to suck some slices of lemon, so you will not experience onion breath any longer.
Apple is one of the good items to remove onion breath. Natural enzymes in apples do the same thing like lemons so that the stink odor can be hidden.
- After having a meal with onion flavor, remember to eat an apple to prevent the onion breath.
- Alternatively, you may drink a glass of apple juice during the meal.
Milk can also be a useful way to get rid of onion breath. The fat content in milk neutralizes the sulfur compounds in onion quickly. Sipping milk before or during a meal to decrease the bad odor, and it is noted that a glass of full-fat milk is much more effective than skim milk. In addition, it contains huge numbers of vitamins and minerals, drinking it regularly will help you to have a healthier life.
Cardamom can easily fade the onion breath thanks to its sweet aroma. Cardamom will clear and freshen your mouth right after using it.
- Chew some cardamom to fight the bad breath.
- Otherwise, you can drink 1 or 2 cup of cardamom tea. You just have to open the cardamom pods, crush the seeds, then boiling them and waiting for it to cool down, finally savoring it.
Like cardamom, mint is an ideal solution for onion breath. Because mint has plenty of chlorophyll which can refresh the odor, and mild antiseptic content is helpful for masking the bad odor caused by bacteria. You can drink mint tea, chew a few mint leaves directly or eat some mint – flavored candies.
7. Mustard Sauce
Another way to get rid of onion breath is to use mustard sauce. The stench can be removed instantly due to the strong smell of mustard sauce. How to do it:
- Put a teaspoon of mustard in your mouth, swish it for several minutes and spit it out.
- Take one more teaspoon and swallow it.
- Drink a glass of water to clean the mouth.
8. Baking soda
Baking soda is also a good trick to treat the onion breath. It is able to neutralize the sulfurous content and maintain the PH in your mouth to prevent bacteria from growing.Take a teaspoon of baking soda and another one of sea salt, mix them together in a glass of warm water. Use this mixture as a useful mouthwash a couple of times a day to avoid onion odor. Also, baking soda is one of the most natural oral thrush treatments.
This is one of popular foods that a lot of people like. Not only tasting sweet, yogurt works on reducing bad bacteria and bringing back good kinds of bacteria. Furthermore, it is good for your digestion and rich in nutrients. Yogurt enhances your immune system and makes you healthier. So you should consume yogurt every day, then your onion breath is not a problem anymore.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be an effective tip to handle the onion breath. It is acidic in nature and will eliminate all bacterium causing bad odor.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup, add some water and stir them. Clean your mouth with this liquid for a few times.
- Get some honey, a little clove oil and tincture, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar together in a cup with warm water. Gargle this mixture to get the onion breath disappeared.